Friday, February 19, 2010

Things I've been working on

I've been meaning to post this forever, but waited because I wanted to get a better picture of me wearing the skirt.  Oh well, I just haven't gotten to it yet.  But here's the story.  I saw this skirt on anthropologie.
I thought for a really long time about how to make it.  I knew how to change up the yoke and create the ruffle, but it was the pleats/draping on the side that was throwing me.  Until I found another blogger that wanted the same skirt and figured it out.  Click here to see how.  I think she keeps ag great blog and I've liked a lot of her ideas.  Anyway, here is how mine turned out.

I used a sort of sage green pinstriped fabric of "unknown fiber content" that I got for a $1.50 at Walmart.  I love it.  Were I to do it again I would change a couple things.  I would do fusible interfacing on the entire yoke.  There was a lot of give to my fabric and it needed the stability.  I would also have lined it, but I just didn't have any lining.  I ended up having to hand stitch the side pleats in place because they just slipped out.  I also would have made them a little more shallow (1 inch instead of 1.5), and I would have made the whole skirt a little more fitted, more of a pencil than straight down as it is now.  But I really love it!  I'll post a picture of me wearing it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment